If you want to have a more satisfying DMR experience and reduce potential frustration and system congestion, you SHOULD activate your radio’s Talk Permit tone.
- The Talk Permit tone, aka, Go-Ahead tone, Call tone or something similar, is needed by the radio operator so they know when it is OK to begin speaking after pressing PTT.
- The repeater sends the acknowledgement sound to your radio after approximately .5 to 1.5 seconds.
- Talking blindly (no Talk Permit or Call tones enabled) tends to congest the system and is inefficient and impolite and you are likely not to be heard.
- For example:
- If you can’t hear the Talk Permit tone or the Bonk (rejected) tone, then you won’t know if it was OK to talk.
- If the talkgroup is busy or the time slot is not clear for traffic, the system will reject your attempt to transmit into the system.